[unisog] another round of bogus DMCA notices

David Dagon dagon at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 31 20:53:05 GMT 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 12:51:44PM -0500, Michael Holstein wrote:

> Exactly .. and the sooner a body of evidence can be compiled that
> attests to their flawed testing methodology, the faster it'll stop.

Roger Dingledine from the Tor project has been interested in gathering
anecdotes/war stories about these DMCA auto-generated complaints.
Various Tor operators have been shut down, or sent to DMCA sensitivity
training seminars, or otherwise treated as something other than a
router operator, all because of script-generated complaints.

I don't forward notes from lists, but I'd be happy to put people in
touch with Roger, if they want to follow up on this.  As I recall,
Roger's goal was to gather examples, and work with the EFF to design
an effective response (educating the content owners, sending crisply
worded letters, etc.)

It may be that he's interested in only Tor-related complaints.  I do
recall that some volume (i.e.., a number of bogus complaints) was
required, so perhaps any experience is relevant.

It strikes me as unfair that the content providers/IP protection
services are relying on universities to do their quality assurance.

--
David Dagon              /"\                          "When cryptography
dagon at cc.gatech.edu      \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN    is outlawed, bayl