[unisog] another round of bogus DMCA notices

Dave Dittrich dittrich at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 31 22:04:53 GMT 2006

David Dagon wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 12:51:44PM -0500, Michael Holstein wrote:
>
>> Exactly .. and the sooner a body of evidence can be compiled that
>> attests to their flawed testing methodology, the faster it'll stop.
>
> Roger Dingledine from the Tor project has been interested in gathering
> anecdotes/war stories about these DMCA auto-generated complaints.
> Various Tor operators have been shut down, or sent to DMCA sensitivity
> training seminars, or otherwise treated as something other than a
> router operator, all because of script-generated complaints.

I, too, would be interested in hearing more details.

> It strikes me as unfair that the content providers/IP protection
> services are relying on universities to do their quality assurance.

Exactly.   In fact, I have an idea for a way to solve part of the
piracy problem (at least the part at universities) through a
collaborative response arrangement that puts the control in the
hands of universities and minimizes everyone's time/cost
(including MPAA/RIAA), and keeps lawyers out of the picture.  If
any of you would be interested in participating in such a system,
please contact me off-list.

--
Dave Dittrich                          Information Assurance Researcher,
dittrich at u.washington.edu              The iSchool

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5