[unisog] Remote Access Policy - what's yours?

Kim Cary Kim.Cary at pepperdine.edu
Fri Sep 1 14:07:37 GMT 2006

Our ISO wants to re-examine our remote access policy; security is the
impetus, but there are perhaps support concerns, etc. The view is
that, with the VPN coming, we might not allow 'everyone in staff/
faculty' to access University LAN resources (administrative
applications, primarily, but also file/print) from home/off-campus.
Currently, we freely provide remote access to certain hardened hosts,
including an RDC server that provides access to administrative
applications.

If you have a well-developed policy for discriminating as to who gets
remote access to your network (perhaps including the larger issue of
vendor support techs) I'd appreciate a pointer to it, or a copy.

If you have any other lore about implementing this kind of policy
(pro or con) that would be of interest as well.