[unisog] Wiki Security

John H. Robinson, IV jhriv at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 5 16:13:52 GMT 2006

Edgecombe, Jason wrote:

> The only downside is lack of fine-grained access controls which seems to
> be common among wiki software because it's contrary to the wiki
> philosophy.

I would recommend that anyone setting up a Wiki to secure it for users,
and to have some out-of-band initial authorisation mechansism.

Wiki's have become a dumping place for spammers to put thier
advertisements. I have seen where spammers can complete the email
verification of users, even.

Be wary when setting up a publicly accessible resource.

--
John H. Robinson, IV   University of California, San Diego
jhriv at ucsd.edu         Geisel Library  IT OPS                    http  ((((