[unisog] mobo flash crypto laptops?

John Kemp kemp at network-services.uoregon.edu
Mon Sep 25 21:46:25 GMT 2006

I recently heard that some laptops are now
encorporating a nice full-volume disk encryption
feature that depends on soldered motherboard nvram.
So the "lock" uses a mobo nvram chip to tie a password
to the disk volume encryption... no BIOS password, no disk
decryption.  Nice.

Anyone know which laptops are sporting this feature?
Even the vendors/marketting folks don't seem to understand which of
their products have this feature, so I'm trying to see if there
is an easy way to tell which laptops have this.

Thanks in advance,
John Kemp (kemp at ns.uoregon.edu)