[unisog] SP*M Detection Methods & Processes

Michael Grinnell grinnell at american.edu
Tue Sep 26 14:15:04 GMT 2006

General notes.  We use a minimal block, tag and pass strategy for
email.  Viruses and persistent spam sources are quarantined/blocked,
while all other email gets passed to the user.  Email that is > 50 %
spammy gets tagged with a header and a score.  Our corporate email
client (Notes) has an agent that can be configured by the user to
delete or quarantine spam based on the header and the spam score.

We've been happy with PureMessage as well.  Anecdotally, I generally
don't get more than 1 or 2 pieces of spam a day (for 3 email
addresses).  PureMessage seems to be as configurable as you want or
you can just plug it in and leave it alone.  We also use the IP
blocker service from PM, which seems to do a good job of culling
incoming email from known spam/virus sources.  The majority of the
spam that we receive at this point seems to be from consumer dynamic
IP space, and we have discussed trying to bump up the spam score of
email coming from these hosts to catch 0-day spam and viruses more
effectively, but we haven't done so yet.

I've done some spot checks using Cam's snort rule for image spam, and
it seems like PM is catching all of it.

We have supplemented PureMessage with milter-sender (http://
www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/milter-sender/), which we are very happy
with, and are considering implementing other milters by SnertSoft.
We currently don't use all of the features that milter-sender
provides, but we may at some point.  Currently we are using some
basic tests, e.g. invalid domain name, sender claims to be us, etc.

For some other thoughts on spam filtering/blocking, I would also
recommend taking a look at this article (http://acme.com/
mail_filtering/) from acme.com, which claims to receive the most spam
in the world.

Michael Grinnell
Network Security Administrator
The American University