[unisog] MAC addresses for wireless - do you require registration?

Jamie Savage jsavage at yorku.ca
Mon Apr 2 12:33:28 GMT 2007

We use Bluesocket for wireless access (and some wired access as well) and
do not require users to register a MAC.  Users, with their first HTTP
request, are redirected to a Login page where they must login
(acct/password handled by RADIUS) or they can't go anywhere.   The
Bluesocket box logs lots of things so we can track Username, IP and MAC.

James Savage                                   York University
Senior Communications Tech.       108 Steacie Building
jsavage at yorku.ca                            4700 Keele Street
ph: 416-736-2100 ext. 22605            Toronto, Ontario
fax: 416-736-5701                                M3J 1P3, CANADA

Christian Wilson <Christian.Wilson at its.monash.edu.au>
Sent by: unisog-bounces at lists.dshield.org
04/01/2007 10:57 PM
Please respond to
UNIversity Security Operations Group <unisog at lists.dshield.org>

unisog at lists.dshield.org
cc

Subject
[unisog] MAC addresses for wireless - do you require registration?

Hi,

We're currently doing a review of our wireless network, and one of the
components of that review is "Should we be registering MAC addresses
connecting to our wireless network?"

I was wondering what other people were doing so I figured I'd ask :)

So - do you require registration for MAC addresses for all wireless
clients
prior to connecting to your wireless networks? (We currently do and then
can
tie a MAC address to a user. This is then done again when users log in to
our VPN...)

I'll summarise with what responses I get.

Thanks
Christian.
--
Christian Wilson
IT Security and Risk Manager, Infrastructure Services