[unisog] MAC addresses for wireless - do you require registration?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Apr 2 15:22:08 GMT 2007

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 08:33:28 EDT, Jamie Savage said:
> We use Bluesocket for wireless access (and some wired access as well) and
> do not require users to register a MAC.  Users, with their first HTTP
> request, are redirected to a Login page where they must login
> (acct/password handled by RADIUS) or they can't go anywhere.   The
> Bluesocket box logs lots of things so we can track Username, IP and MAC.

We use the Bluesocket boxes as well.  They certainly solved a lot of the
administrivia headaches for us - people who "should" be on our wireless
basically create one identification entity when they arrive and keep it
for their entire time here, while trying to track MAC addresses and tie them
to users is hopeless in a world where people upgrade and replace their
computers/wireless cards on an almost daily basis....