[unisog] Anyone Deployed a Spyware Solution?

Harris, Michael C. HarrisMC at health.missouri.edu
Thu Apr 12 13:03:19 GMT 2007

We have deployed Counterspy with relative success.  The solution was not expensive software wise, I believe between 3500$ and 5k$ depending on user count, plus the cost of a couple of servers.

Pros, It is designed as a centrally managed console based product.  It uses the legacy Giant spyware core routines,  the solution when rolled out with either their delivery system or by MS-GPO is fairly transparent to the user community.  Summary reporting is OK but not great.

Cons,  rolling it out to a large community of clients at once can be problematic, go in smaller groups, by department by building by MS-OU something to limit rollout to manageable communities. latest client seems to the local user to halt or terminate the scanning and detection process.  reporting of infection not visible to the local user, this they tell me is fixed in latest version but I have no feed back on how helpful it is to the user yet.

Mike

Michael C. Harris
System Security Analyst & Clinical Instructor
University Of Missouri Health Care
harrismc at health.missouri.edu      KCØPAH