[unisog] This seems a spyware. Is this?

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Fri Apr 13 14:50:38 GMT 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 08:47:47AM +0900, takashi yamanoue wrote:
> Hi.
>   I'm takashi from Japan.
>   I've received the following mail today.
>   It seems a malicious mail with a spyware.
>   Does anyone know something about this mail?
>   The mail has an attached file, bugfix-48566.zip (38 KB),
>   and the following text was an image.
>
>   Regards,
>
> Takashi Yamanoue, Dr.
> Computing and Communications Center, Kagoshima University
> yamanoue at cc,kagoshima-u.ac.jp
> http://yama-linux.cc.kagoshima-u.ac.jp/~yamanoue
> +81-99-285-7187
<snip>

	There is every likelyhood (although only analysing the zip file would
be %100 sure) that this is indeed a virus or spyware. The passworded zip file
is designed to bypass virus scanners as is the text in an image file. You
could also ask the person or site that supposedly sent it if they really did
but just deleting it as a virus is probably your best bet.