[unisog] Anyone Deployed a Spyware Solution?

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at bangor.ac.uk
Tue Apr 17 10:30:25 GMT 2007

Tim Lane wrote:
> just wondering if anyone has deployed a commercial, enterprise based
> spyware specific solution under a client server arrangement for Windows
> desktops?
>
> If so I would be interested in:
>
> (1) The solution name
> (2) How effective the solution is
> (3) How much it cost
> (4) Pros and Cons of the solution
> (5) Any other relevant feedback
>
> I would also be interested in hearing from other institutions that are
> currently considering investing in a commercial enterprise based spyware
> solution.

We use Sophos Anti-Virus which has spyware and other "PUA" (potentially
unwanted applications) built-in. There's also an option to control
applications like bit-torrent, e-donkey, skype, msn, windows games etc.
Price was a UK Higher Ed deal so probably not relevant to yourselves but
suffice to say it was affordable.
One Pro is that you only have one local agent examing every file opened
rather than 2.
We're not using it in anger on staff machines yet but it is in place in
our student labs and is preventing use of various toolbars and other
unwelcomes.
http://www.sophos.com

Regards,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Microcomputer Support Manager

--
Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the University of Wales, Bangor.
The University of Wales, Bangor does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the University of Wales, Bangor Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk