[unisog] HEA §494 Campus-based Digital Theft Prevention

Paul FM paulfm at me.umn.edu
Mon Dec 3 16:07:21 GMT 2007

Or another way to look at this.

Student's are customers of Universities (not their employees).
Does this mean that companies which provide network support to other
companies are required to do this as well (I don't think so)?
Are ISP's required to explore technology-based deterrents to prevent illegal
activity (as far as I know, they aren't even required to help you prevent
break-ins to your own computer)?

Maybe Universities should just BAN the download and sale of all RIAA
copyrighted music on campus (legal or not) - and state their reason for this
clearly to incoming students.  That way they remove themselves from being
responsible for these discriminatory rules.