[unisog] Comment son the MPAA University Toolkit

John Ladwig jladwig at mango.lioness.net
Mon Dec 3 22:46:01 GMT 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 09:03:48PM -0800, Ali, Saqib wrote:
> > The MPAA and RIAA lobbyists strike again!  This almost requires by law
> > that universities send them money.
>
> Well MPAA did provide a toolkit to track illegal file downloads ;-)
> http://universitytoolkit.org/
>
> and here is a review of the privacy toolkit:
> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/11/mpaa_university_toolkit_opens_1.html?nav=rss_blog

I see a lot of reference to this article, and very few to what I
consider a much more interesting analysis of the toolkit, courtesy
Richard Bejtlich at:

  http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2007/11/examining-mpaa-university-toolkit.html

He also examines "phone-home" traffic from the system at:

  http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2007/11/mpaa-university-toolkit-phone-home.html

Apologies if the URLs wrap.  The posts are from Friday, November 23, 2007
and titled:

  Examining the MPAA University Toolkit
  MPAA University Toolkit Phone Home

  -jml