[unisog] Comment son the MPAA University Toolkit

Nagel, Lonnie lnagel at SFCCMO.EDU
Tue Dec 4 13:27:19 GMT 2007

Looks like the feces has struck the oscillating probosis.  LOL

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/04/015229

* Lonnie Nagel * Network Manager * State Fair Community College *
Sungard Higher Education Managed Services * 3201 W 16th Street *
* Sedalia, MO  65301 * 660-596-7314 * lnagel at sfccmo.edu *
www.sungardhe.com *

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error,

From: unisog-bounces at lists.dshield.org
[mailto:unisog-bounces at lists.dshield.org] On Behalf Of John Ladwig
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 4:46 PM
To: UNIversity Security Operations Group
Cc: UNIversity Security Operations Group
Subject: [unisog] Comment son the MPAA University Toolkit

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 09:03:48PM -0800, Ali, Saqib wrote:
> > The MPAA and RIAA lobbyists strike again!  This almost requires by
law
> > that universities send them money.
>
> Well MPAA did provide a toolkit to track illegal file downloads ;-)
> http://universitytoolkit.org/
>
> and here is a review of the privacy toolkit:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/11/mpaa_university_toolk
it_opens_1.html?nav=rss_blog

I see a lot of reference to this article, and very few to what I
consider a much more interesting analysis of the toolkit, courtesy
Richard Bejtlich at:

http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2007/11/examining-mpaa-university-toolki
t.html

He also examines "phone-home" traffic from the system at:

http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2007/11/mpaa-university-toolkit-phone-ho
me.html

Apologies if the URLs wrap.  The posts are from Friday, November 23,
2007
and titled:

  Examining the MPAA University Toolkit
  MPAA University Toolkit Phone Home