[unisog] Cisco Profiler (was Re: Printers, printers, printers)

Michael Kaegler Michael.Kaegler at MARIST.EDU
Wed Dec 12 21:36:12 GMT 2007

At 3:45 PM -0500 12/12/07, Anthony Maszeroski wrote:
>Did you implement the Cisco NAC profiler? :

The Cisco Profiler (nee Great Bay Beacon) in theory automatically
detects printers or other devices and feeds them to the exception
list in Cisco NAC automatically.

We decided that was exactly what we did not want. With the line
between "full computer" and "dumb appliance" bluring, we decided we
cannot allow a single node on the network without having a
responsible person available for us to contact about node
misbehaviour.

Expanded:
An xbox360 can't run a agent to login to Cisco NAC. We're not using
web logins since theres no guarantee that these appliances can run a
browser. However, some of these devices *can* run a bittorrent or
commit other sins for which the lawyers want us to answer. Therefore,
we need to have a name associated to each MAC address. If profiler
were to autodetect these boxes, we would not get that name.

So we're writing special software to handle registrations, because it
seems noone else has. We're using the beacon to verify that devices
claimed to be xboxes are indeed xboxes (OUI checks are worthless
these days). So far none of it works (we're still writing), but we're
looking to deploy in March.
-porkchop
--
Michael "Porkchop" Kaegler, Sr. Network Analyst
(845) 575-3061 Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY