[unisog] Cisco Profiler (was Re: Printers, printers, printers)

Cal Frye cjf at calfrye.com
Thu Dec 13 02:13:45 GMT 2007

Michael Kaegler wrote:
> Expanded:
> An xbox360 can't run a agent to login to Cisco NAC. We're not using
> web logins since theres no guarantee that these appliances can run a
> browser. However, some of these devices *can* run a bittorrent or
> commit other sins for which the lawyers want us to answer. Therefore,
> we need to have a name associated to each MAC address. If profiler
> were to autodetect these boxes, we would not get that name.

We do game consoles manually, via calls to the Help Desk. The role I
assign to game systems does not permit access to most campus services
(DNS works, not much else) and doesn't permit email anywhere. Otherwise
they're pretty open.

This seems to keep our users honest without much additional effort --
they don't want to register their PC as an XBox if it can't in turn work
with Blackboard, printing systems, etc. I suggest you try the
less-paranoid approach first and see if that works sufficiently well for
you ;-)

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. " - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')