[unisog] Full disk encryption packages -- again
r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 18 03:36:43 GMT 2007
Partly prodded by Bruce Schneier's latest cryptogram we are again
thinking about (software) full disk encryption packages. So I thought I
would do a survey...
If you use (either officially recommend for campus use or just use as an
individual or have colleagues who use) and full disk packages then
please email me with the following data.
1. name of package
2. license (commercial, gpl, etc)
3. ease of use for user (1 difficult - 5 a breeze) -- general set up
(including initial encryption)
4. ease of administration ( 1 - 5 ) - any issues that interfere with
the general administration of the machine
5. does it have features that might make it better to use on a large
scale (eg provision for key escrow)
6. how well does it work with removable devices ( 0 not supported - 5
7. how transparent is it to the user (1 awful - 5 invisible) -- this
includes speed issues
8. your over all evaluation of the product.
9. cost (if known)
10. does your institution recommend this package or have a license
11. OS support ( windows, mac and linux, etc)
add comments about anything else.
Replies to me please and I'll make up a table and post it back to the list.
More information about the unisog