[unisog] Extremely High Spam Statistics

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Feb 16 04:19:02 GMT 2007

Tim Lane spake thusly:
>I would be interested in comparing our spam stats with other
institutions.

According to our current email statistics, our email traffic is about

10% legitimate
0.2% viruses
89.8% spam

Appox 1.1 million emails per day.  This includes all internal emails,
though, so the proportion of internet-originating email which is spam is
going to be higher - so this ties in with the 90-95% figure you quoted.

We identify the spam via greylisting, invalid email address checks, and
Spamassassin checks.  We have a very good hit rate for spam, with very
little getting through - 98% spam seems pretty high.  However, your
scanner may be better than ours :)

Steve

--
Steve Shipway