[unisog] Using Reverse Proxies

Pete Hickey pete at shadows.uottawa.ca
Mon Feb 19 13:29:32 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 12:15:36PM +1100, Tim Lane wrote:

> Just wondering if other Universities/Educational institutions are
> using reverse proxy and in what circumstances?

We are using it where we have no alternative.

If you do use it, consider adding modsecurity if using
apache.  It can do all kinds of sanity checks.

 http://www.modsecurity.org

The one thing we've found with reverse proxies, is that, on very
busy systems, it effectively masks the IP address of users.  There
are times, when you want to tie a userID to an IP address (for
some kind of investigation), and with a busy proxy, it is hard,
if not impossible to connect one with the other.

--
Pete Hickey                          October Blend:
The University of Ottawa               The duck