[unisog] Extremely High Spam Statistics

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 20 16:47:26 GMT 2007

> Feb, 2007
>
> 108395	 (6%)
> 1707607	 (94%)

These counts are amazingly high from my point of view.  To begin with
12% of our volume is from our own authenticated users or other mail
systems at the university, and we can quickly reach almost 20% of
volume by adding in sources unlikely to be spam like Gmail and AOL,
the New York Times, Monster, Bigfootinteractive.

Are these counts excluding mail from local users, and including
"possible spam" that is not bad enough to reject?

We certainly have seen an increase since mid 2006 too, but we only
hit 60% spam weekdays and 80% weekends (there isn't more spam
on weekends, just fewer legit messages).  That is the ratio of
messages rejected to messages accepted.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer