[unisog] MSN Messenger - two questions

Alan Rothenbush alan at sfu.ca
Tue Feb 20 20:46:15 GMT 2007

Background:

I'm now under some pressure to "release" MSN Messenger to a group of my users,
some of them senior administrators.

To date, the answer has been "no, insecure, next question", and as I "own" the
machines and the users are but users, it has not yet been installed.

Sadly, these bosses (at least one of whom can fire me) now present a
legitimate business need for which I have no other solution, the problem
being that prospective students almost universally choose some sort of IM as
the preferred form of communication.

(The Instant Gratification generation, I suppose, making me once again feel my
age)

Since we (annoyingly) do need students around the place, I'm probably going to
have to come up with some solution.

My concerns (perhaps unfounded) are the need to open up the built-in XP
firewall to a server off in the big bad internet, allowing access to an
application that I think has historic security issues.

Question 1:

Are my concerns unfounded ?

(My response "they're all wrong" to the statement "every other university does
it" doesn't seem to be enough of an explanation)

Question 2:

If it turns out I have to do this, any tips for keeping things safe ?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

--
Alan Rothenbush
Academic Computing Services

  The Spartans do not ask the number of the enemy, only where they are.

                                    Agix of Sparta