[unisog] MSN Messenger - two questions

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at unm.edu
Tue Feb 20 22:21:32 GMT 2007

David Lundy wrote:
> Brian:
>       I have appreciated your comments as well as others about IM
> security.  We haven't really addressed it.  I would like to say that we
> are hearing from our admissions that a significant number of prospective
> students consider email "so last century."  So I believe IM in
> admissions will be an issue for us as well.
>
> David Lundy

Of course after the first couple of "he asked me to undress in front of
the webcam before I could get a position at XYZ" lawsuits...

At a previous job, we evaluated a network device that basically filtered
and monitored Instant Messaging between clients and the outside world.
Not sure if they are acceptable for University learning environments but
I don't know what the legal ramifications for lawsuits about the
inevitable professor/graduate student who will ask for sex via IM for a
good word at Admissions.

--
Stephen Smoogen -- ITS/Linux Administrator
  MSC02 1520 1 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001
  Phone: (505) 277-7343  Email: smooge at unm.edu