[unisog] MSN Messenger - two questions

Alan Rothenbush alan at sfu.ca
Tue Feb 20 23:32:56 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 04:13:06PM -0600, Brian Eckman wrote:

> They want to use Web cams to video conference with.... prospective
> students!?!?!?!? That's it. I officially am calling B.S.

No, video among themselves, IM to many, internal and external.

> It sounds to me that they have other needs for this besides conversing
> with prospective students. For their sake, I'd suggest that they spell
> out exactly what they want to accomplish,

That's exactly what I've asked them to do .. come up with a requirements
list, that is, define the PROBLEM.

If they want to offer some proposed solutions, fine, I'll look at those
as well, but the FINAL solution is my job.  Their's is simply to describe
the problem.

Now, when that requirements list is presented to me, I'd like to have a
few answers "in hand", hence my original message.

Personally I think IM to do this is nuts, and via a third party provider
is simply amateurish.  But it's not my place to tell them how to do their
jobs, any more than I'll listen to suggestions from them as to how to do mine.

I do accept that the students are driving this and I can believe that IM is
what they're looking for.  (My crew have just gotten Blackberries.  I asked a
few to haul them out and show me the operation.  ALL of them had SMS as
the first icon on the wheel, IM second email third web fourth and oh yeah,
phone fifth.)

Alan

--

Alan Rothenbush
Academic Computing Services

  The Spartans do not ask the number of the enemy, only where they are.

                                             Agix of Sparta