[unisog] Cleaning up those networks

Cal Frye cjf at calfrye.com
Wed Feb 21 17:00:37 GMT 2007

power less wrote:
> Is there any point in j average detector of stuff to report these
> things? (When I say "report" I'm willing to
> go as far as send a message to the contact in whois for that IP. I'm
> assuming that those universities that don't  list a contact email in
> whois care not to hear about these things ever :-)

Using myself as a bad example...
If your whois lookup is done via EDUCAUSE, the current .edu registrar,
you will find pertinent contact information for Oberlin College. If you
instead query ARIN, you will get data so outdated as to be worthless.
Further, ARIN is having troubles letting us correct this data, because
the authorized contact individual is no longer with us, and it's a
sufficiently obnoxious process to correct I've dropped it twice as other
projects loomed :-(

On the other hand, abuse at somebody.edu should get you in the right
direction. If a particular institution gives you grief, they have bigger
problems. Obviously, I'm not speaking for the larger ISPs, merely
educational institutions :-)

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If
you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?" -- Shantideva.