[unisog] Still need a "security" address?

Cal Frye cjf at calfrye.com
Wed Feb 21 21:53:15 GMT 2007

Russell Fulton wrote:
> For educational institutions around the world (Asia excepted) abuse or
> security @ domain works well.

Now that you mention it...
In our admittedly limited experience, we get network abuse reports
addressed to our "abuse" alias, and nothing but misaddressed messages to
"security" -- these latter are all intended for our Office of Safety and
Security, aka the Campus police office. S & S is, in turn, sort of
annoyed they don't have a memorable email alias for folks to use to
contact them. Around campus, they are universally known as "Security"

Is it out of line to consider assigning the email alias "security AT
Oberlin DOT edu" to the folks in blue while expecting /network/ security
issues to be addressed to "abuse?"

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"In every outthrust headland, in every curving beach, in every grain of
sand there is the story of the earth." -- Rachel Carson, Silent Spring.