[unisog] Still need a "security" address?

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 22 01:07:33 GMT 2007

Cal Frye wrote:
> Russell Fulton wrote:
>
>> For educational institutions around the world (Asia excepted) abuse or
>> security @ domain works well.
>>

> Now that you mention it...
> In our admittedly limited experience, we get network abuse reports
> addressed to our "abuse" alias, and nothing but misaddressed messages to
> "security" -- these latter are all intended for our Office of Safety and
> Security, aka the Campus police office. S & S is, in turn, sort of
> annoyed they don't have a memorable email alias for folks to use to
> contact them. Around campus, they are universally known as "Security"
>
> Is it out of line to consider assigning the email alias "security AT
> Oberlin DOT edu" to the folks in blue while expecting /network/ security
> issues to be addressed to "abuse?"

Our experience is similar.  We now gateway security at auckland to
unisafe at auckland.  This solves most of the problems.  We do get the odd
grumble from the unisafe staff when IT security stuff comes through ;)

We have been promoting security at auckland as the contact point for IT
security services for around 10 years and it is used internally with
reasonable frequency but almost never from outside.

Comes to that the only people who ever send anything to abuse at auckland
are spam cop and aol bitching about spam bounces.

Russell.