[unisog] Changes to the administration of the Unisog list.

Saqib Ali docbook.xml at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 23:36:45 GMT 2007

I totally support this move.

It is for the same reason the webappsec list moved from its old home
at security-basics.com to owasp at
http://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/webappsec

Being a list moderator myself, I see tremendous amount of spam on
http://www.xml-dev.com/mailman/listinfo/fde (disk encryption) list. so
i have turned on the strict moderation where only list subscribers can
post. However I don't like the idea of white-list, so I ask the
non-subscribers to send a personal email with the content.

But there is still people who subscribes to the list and then send the
spam message, unfortunately. But since I moderate all posts, the
subscribers don't see the spam.

saqib
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net

On 1/6/07, Russell Fulton <r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Over the last couple of years the amount of spam hitting the list has
> gone up enormously (I'm sure this surprises no one). Except for the odd
> bungle by one of  the moderators you, the list users, never see it.
> While we don't actually keep any statistics we estimate that we are now
> seeing of the order of 100 spam messages for every list posting.  The
> job of shifting though all the crap for the few real posts has reached
> the point where the moderators feel that it is not time well spent.
> There is also an increased risk that we will miss real posts in the
> morass, particularly if these are posted from addresses that are not on
> the list.
>
> Up until now we have kept the list open to posts from non list addresses
> as there are perfectly legitimate reasons for such posts but we are now
> of the opinion that this is luxury that we can no longer afford.  Again,
> we don't have any formal records but it is our impression that only a
> handful of regular posters are affected.  Mailman can white list
> addresses easily so we are suggesting that we close the list to posts
> from addresses which are not subscribed.  Those of you who feel that you
> will be disadvantaged by this move can drop a note to
> <unisog-owner at lists.dshield.org> and we will add you to the white list.
> This is a manual operations and so please use this only if you *really*
> need it and are a reasonably frequent poster.  If none of the moderators
> recognise your email address you are unlikely to get whitelisted ;)
>
> We propose to make this change on the 1st of February. This should give
> you plenty of time to make any arrangements you need.
>
> Your moderation team,
>
> Peter, John, Russell and Phil.

Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net