[unisog] Changes to the administration of the Unisog list.

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Sun Jan 7 18:57:32 GMT 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 11:04:05PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:36:45 PST, Saqib Ali said:
>
> > But there is still people who subscribes to the list and then send the
> > spam message, unfortunately.
>
> It might be enlightening to look at the Received: headers in more detail -
> remember that very little spam is actually from the address listed in the
> From: field (except on rare occasions, totally accidentally).

	It is worth noting that we aren't stopping list moderation (which
hopefully will catch spam from subscribed addresses), only automatically
discarding posts from non subscribers before it hits the moderators. To
approve Mr Ali's reply (which should be along soon) I had to read the subject
lines of 29 obvious spam messages (and then bulk delete them), and sometimes
have to fetch and read the contents to see if the message is spam or a legit
post if the subject line isn't obviously spam (and we may miss legit posts
by accident if the subject looks like spam). This is what we are trying to
eliminate not moderation.