[unisog] WEB2.0 Security Issues

Stasiniewicz, Adam stasinia at msoe.edu
Thu Jan 25 03:14:34 GMT 2007

I think Valdis made a good point here.  What you will see on "Web 2.0" is a
whole lot similar to the current Internet.  You will still have the same web
servers (Apache, IIS, etc) and the same webmaster who don't patch those web
servers.  You will still have email (and spam) flowing over SMTP.  You will
still have viruses, worms, and other malware.  There are many proposals on
what content would be published and who would have access, but in the long
run, it will probably do little for security.

The one thing of interest is IPv6.  It already is sizably deployed in the
Far East, and most major universities have at least some partial deployment.
The biggest change in IPv6 is a massive increase in the total amount of IP
addresses.  There is also work on QOS and IPSec integration, which merits
attention.  Whatever "Web 2.0", "Internet 2", etc come out with; I think the
major main stay will be IPv6.  Simply because the world is running out of IP
addresses.

My $0.02,
Adam Stasiniewicz