[unisog] WEB2.0 Security Issues

Edgecombe, Jason jwedgeco at uncc.edu
Thu Jan 25 13:39:27 GMT 2007

I third the notion that Web 2.0 has all of the old bugs from Web 1.0.

While this can be called Web 2.0 or not, there is a strong push for more
client-side scripting. Specifically this is Javascript and all of
acronyms that go a long with it like AJAX. I expect there to be similar
threats as the core libraries are fleshed out and experience is gained
for using client-side scripting properly.

In other words, I expect history to repeat itself. I think that most of
the bugs that hit traditional apps will hit Web 2.0 apps. It's a
double-whammy now that you have both an untrusted client and the server
side to worry about.

>From the anti-phishing perspective, thanks to AJAX, you don't have to
click submit for a bad guy to get what you've typed into a malicious web
form. It's no longer "think before you press submit", it's "think before
you even type".

Sincerely,
Jason

Jason Edgecombe
Solaris & Linux Administrator
Mosaic Computing Group, College of Engineering
UNC-Charlotte
Phone: (704) 687-3514