[unisog] WEB2.0 Security Issues

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at unm.edu
Thu Jan 25 16:29:45 GMT 2007

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:51:06 +0200, avi shvartz said:
>> What I am missing is a reference to security & privacy issues related to
>> WEB2.0.
>
> All the same ones that Web 0.99 had.
>
> Since "Web 2.0" is more a buzzword than an actual protocol or design
> methodology, you can't point to anything the way you can (for instance)
> point at "privacy issues of HTTP Cookies" or "Things to worry about when
> collecting personal data on a website that uses LAMP".

Another issue that comes with the buzzword-web-2.0 business crap is that
it is meant to enable "social" interactions. Thus the bigger security
problem with Web-2.0 is actually the oldest: Social engineering. I think
a very convincing paper could be written that email scams+website were
the first Web-2.0 business models that made money.

> If there's a *specific* concept that's more specific than "now buzzword-compliant
> with web 2.0", feel free to raise it and we'll discuss it.
>
>> I would like to hear opinions what are the new security & privacy concerns
>> that WEB2.0
>
> Only thing that comes to mind is "fraud against VC investors who didn't learn
> their lesson in the dot-bomb bubble collapse".

Phineas Taylor Barnum's is often quoted wrongly, but it is apt:
 "There's a sucker born every minute...and two to take 'em."

--
Stephen Smoogen -- ITS/Linux Administrator
  MSC02 1520 1 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001
  Phone: (505) 277-7343  Email: smooge at unm.edu