[unisog] DNS Hostname and SMTP Helo

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jan 31 18:47:03 GMT 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:34:27 CST, Bill Martin said:

> Although...   we have been this for some times, we have only had a
> handful of complaints....   most of which are junk mail providers...
> Like online e-card companies. We did have a few legit sites which we
> have white listed, but the expected recipients were very vocal and as
> such, we may need to change our methodology...

I suspect that if you ban all domains that use the letters A through Z
in their name, you'll find a similarly small number of sites you need to
white list because of vocal recipients.

Remember - there's some 140 million domain names registered, the vast
majority of which you're *never* going to get mail from.   Keep that in
mind as you try to come up with blacklisting rules (and keep in mind Marcus
Ranum's adage about trying to make "default allow and itemize bad things").