[unisog] antivirus that works despite ssl

Cal Frye cjf at calfrye.com
Wed Jul 4 22:19:48 GMT 2007

power less wrote:
> Well ok here I have outlook 2003 configured for imap. And it is most
> happy to view any number of
> those storm messages without a squeak out of an extremely well known
> antivirus product.

so are you actually downloading the infected file attachment, or merely
viewing the email carrier? Until you get that file downloaded to your
client computer, your local antivirus package won't scan it.

Most packages have an "on-access" scan option, be sure that option
includes the temp directory your mail client will use to download the
file attachment. At that point, it should be scanned and identified.

As has been already indicated, once it's downloaded by your client, it's
been decrypted and your AV should be able to identify it.

Better is to do the virus scanning on the mail server, but that appears
to be a different discussion altogether.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple.
In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control.
In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present." --
Lao Tzu.