[unisog] AUPs re FTP and Telnet

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jul 5 21:05:36 GMT 2007

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:27:08 MDT, Jim Dillon said:
> The University of Colorado at Boulder restricts the use of any
> non-encrypted authentication on its network - therefore FTP and Telnet
> are not typically allowed.

Just make sure that you remember to allow for the fact that some places
*do* use 'anonymous FTP' for things like software distribution/download,
and I've seen more than one place that used 'telnet to a captive program'
to do things like library card catalog lookups and other things that didn't
require authentication.

Also, remember that the FTP and telnet protocols *can* be on different ports
than you usually expect....