[unisog] IPSCA free SSL certificates

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jul 8 21:30:00 GMT 2007

IPSCA (www.ipsca.com) offers free SSL certs to universities.   The
system works fine if you have a .edu domain but, inspite of repeated
assurances that we are elligible, I have not been able to get a free
certificate.

If the dn is in .edu you select 'free educational cert' as payment
option and presumably everything works.  When I select 'free educational
cert' I get a free 3months evaluation certificate.

Email to support at ipsca.com elicits the response "We need to check your
website to make sure it is an educational site".  Fair enough but
requests for them to do have so far failed to get a response.  On at
least two occasions I have asked for explicit instructions on what I
need to do to get these certificates but all I have ever got back is the
"We need to check...".

Has anyone out side .edu managed to get one of these certificates?  How
did you do it.

BTW the 3 months certificate I did get worked absolutely fine, until it
expired ;)

Cheers, Russell

Russell Fulton, ISO, The University of Auckland