[unisog] Separation of Duties

Trevor Odonnal trevoro at byu.edu
Mon Jul 9 20:06:58 GMT 2007

Perhaps I should clarify #4.  This isn't meant to be a removal of
privileges to the server or application.  Rather, it is a removal of the
right to GRANT or REVOKE privileges on production systems.  The right to
grant or revoke privileges is a job function that has been assigned to
the Operations Account Management group.  Once the proper privilege
level is determined for the engineers, those privileges are granted by
the Account Management group when the server is placed in production.
If an engineer needs higher than usual privileges in order to handle an
emergency, our 24/7 on-site operations team has the ability to grant the
privileges in a matter of seconds using a documented procedure to
maintain accountability.

Thanks to all for your responses so far.

Trevor O'Donnal CISSP, CCFE
Network Security Analyst
Brigham Young University
(801) 422-1477