[unisog] Identifying if node is a router or PC

Paul FM paulfm at me.umn.edu
Mon Jul 16 14:08:41 GMT 2007

Whatever does the identifying, would have to work by watching the packets for
  DHCP and DNS (very closely, more than the standard DHCP logs), as most of
these devices will do DHCP themselves and will proxy dns (through their own
internal dns server) - it would have to fingerprint those packets (to try and
id the manufacturer).  Other than that, the MAC address is easily (and likely
) forged on these devices, and the nature of NAT makes it very hard to
fingerprint the machine by scanning (some of the ports you connect to may go
back to the client machine).  And of couse, even a Windows XP Home computer
can be a NAT router (very easily).

On possible way is to use SAMBA as your watcher.  Samba knows the NAME of the
connecting machine (as the client knows it) and if you can entice your
clients to at least try to connect to a machine running samba, you would be
able to watch for multiple Windows clients (names) coming through one IP
address (something I should work on myself - thanks for getting me to think
about it).

Also web logs may be able to help a little.