[unisog] Identifying if node is a router or PC

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jul 16 15:01:24 GMT 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:53:42 CDT, Frank Bulk said:
> Does anyone know of a program, or preferably, a Perl module, that would
> allow me to identify if a node is a computer or a broadband router?

What if it's a computer *and* a broadband router?  What action do you plan to
take at that point?

In general, if what you're feeding the customer is a DSL or cable-TV connection,
they'll have *some* device that will have to physically do the connection.
Few consumer-class computers come with the RJ11 and backing hardware that you
need for DSL, and similarly few have a place to plug in a coax.  So *whatever*
is at the other end of the cable *has* to be either a "router" (whatever box
was provided for that function, either by the provider or from Walmart/OfficMax).
or you have somebody clever enough to get the cable actually plugged into
their PC (since that will involve installing a card and drivers, that rules ot
a big chunk of the point-and-drool crowd).