[unisog] Identifying if node is a router or PC

David LaPorte david_laporte at harvard.edu
Mon Jul 16 15:21:52 GMT 2007

PacketFence, an open-source NAC solution I co-develop, does DHCP
fingerprinting like you mention.  We currently have 165 device
fingerprints that include routers, APs, game consoles, operating
systems, etc.

PF may be a bit overkill, since the fingerprinting is just one part, but
it ships with a "dhcp_dumper" utility that just does the fingerprinting.
   We also have a dhcp-finger utility (written in C, not perl) on the
website that uses an XML-based configuration file.  The PF file is a bit
more up-to-date, but only if you need recent fingerprints for PS3,
iPhone, Wii, etc.

http://www.packetfence.org

best,
Dave