[unisog] Identifying if node is a router or PC

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Jul 16 15:59:34 GMT 2007

We provide to end-users via DSL, cable modem, FTTH, and wireless.  About
half
of subscribers probably have no clue how they're connected.  So when they
call
in we either guess based on the town they're in check against their account
using our billing system or a separate customer database.  But not all of us
who provide support have handy access to those systems.

So it would be nice I could tell a customer to reboot their broadband router
(that generally applies to our cable modem and wireless customers; DSL is
almost
100% PPPoA and so it's our router/DSL modem on the end) and say it with some

authority rather than have them open a command prompt and check their local
IP.

We do on-site installs for all our broadband customers, so the
'point-and-drool'
crowd could very likely be oblivious to the fact that they said 'yes' to a
broadband router 9 months ago. =)

Frank