[unisog] Identifying if node is a router or PC

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jul 16 16:34:48 GMT 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:59:34 CDT, Frank Bulk said:
> We provide to end-users via DSL, cable modem, FTTH, and wireless.  About half
> of subscribers probably have no clue how they're connected.

Today's dumb question - do you ever provision customers with more than one
different connectivity?  If not, you only have to ask one question: "What's
your username/identifier/etc?"  Then use that to look at what you *installed*
at their location (yes, I know not all your support people are able to look
that up - personally, I consider that a *bigger* problem than the one you're
trying to solve).

I've found that usually, the users clued enough to swap out provider-supplied
gear will *tell* you "Hi there, I just tried replacing the TurboFoo gear you
installed with a MobyPipe 3000, and I'm having some trouble".  And yes, some
won't tell you that, but it doesn't matter, because you probably don't need
them as a customer *anyhow*.  You *especially* don't need that guy who forgot
they hacked up their OSX kernel so it looks like a Linksys when you nmap it. ;)