[unisog] Identifying if node is a router or PC

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Jul 16 16:45:25 GMT 2007

Valdis:

No, you're right, 99.99% of our customers have just one mode of broadband
connectivity.  I agree, it would be nice if we all had access to look it up
but we don't -- doesn't help me when I'm at home, either.  And one of the
applications is not webified, so it would mean some kind of a Remote Desktop
or the like.

There's a couple of scenarios here:
- cable modem customers
	- PC connected
	- broadband router
- DSL customers
	- PPPoA
		- PC connected
		- broadband router
	- PPPoE
		- PC connected
		- broadband router
- wireless customers
	- PC connected
	- broadband router
- FTTH
	- broadband router

We can't always tell when a broadband router is in play, plain and simple,
unless we ask them to drop to the command prompt and run IP config.  Like
I said, some customers just don't know what they have.  So it's one step
shorter in the troubleshooting process if we don't have to ask them that
question but just know and tell them that's what they have.

Frank