[unisog] Barracuda effectiveness (vs Puremessage)

Kim Cary Kim.Cary at pepperdine.edu
Mon Jul 16 18:25:41 GMT 2007

Hi all,

We've been doing some tests and are quite disappointed with the
Barracuda's spam catch effectiveness. We find that at the recommended
settings about 20% of the things that would be caught by Puremessage
as spam, get missed by Barracuda.

We have the Barracuda set to do the things their SE recommends. And
now they are recommending manual tuning involving keyword lists,
extra blacklists (beyond their own and xbl/sbl from spamhaus), bayes,
etc.

We don't have 'tuning' with Puremessage. We have postgres
maintenance :-( but not tuning.

Anyone have recommendations for a high-catch/no-tuning setup for
their Barracuda, before we re-crate these appliances for return?

Dr. Kim Cary, CISSP
Information Security Officer
M-F 7-4 ~