[unisog] Identifying if node is a router or PC

Jordan Wiens numatrix at ufl.edu
Mon Jul 16 18:41:31 GMT 2007

It's not something I think you'd be interested in actually
implementing for a number of reasons (it's a nasty hack, unreliable,
and potentially illegal), but for the sake of discussion and
entertainment, I'll throw out one theoretical way you could scan from
inside to fingerprint the router.

When a MAC first shows up on the network, inject javascript into
their first plaintext HTTP session via a transparent proxy that tries
to automatically map and fingerprint any common router IPs using the
browser itself.

I know it's not practical, but it's fun to think about.  :-)

Links to code that could achieve such scanning and fingerprinting via
a hijacked browser available in the slide notes at: http://
wantingseed.com/sprout/presentations if anyone is interested in
playing with it. (The demo.zip file contains a set of pages I used to
demonstrate taking over and re-programming some linksys routers from
the outside via hijacking an internal user's browser).

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer