[unisog] Barracuda effectiveness (vs Puremessage)

paul wehner pwehner at nd.edu
Tue Jul 17 19:40:06 GMT 2007

Here at Notre Dame our Barracuda 800 frequently hangs. -as least once a
week.
We call support and they restart the smpt service. We've experienced
this problem over and over and have been told the issue is resolved in
the new firmware upgrade. We've been told that over the last two
firmware cycles. After the last upgrade ldap broke for some people and
email was sent to invalid aliases. We have over 10 internal cases
waiting for vendor response. We don't expect to get a response (other
than upgrade to another firmware release). In the short time I've been
involved w/ the device it's not been pleasant. The barracuda people have
been responsive but I get the sense there is a disconnect between
support and engineering and a problematic internal code review process
(i.e. old bugs reappearing in new firmware).

--
Paul Wehner, Email Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team