[unisog] University ResNet IP address Management

Jason Murray jemurray at zweck.net
Mon Jul 23 15:51:00 GMT 2007

I am interested in how other Universities are managing (allocating)
the IP space in their residential halls?

Our current home grown "NAC" has a pool of public addresses separated
into /24 assignments .  As a new user registers their device it
selects a free IP address from the pool.  The access switch then uses
a VMPS server hosted on the "NAC" system to dynamically change the
switchport to the assigned users VLAN.

We are switching our current "NAC" over to Bradford Campus Manager,
and I don't see any ability to allocate or manage IP space in the
stock system.  This is causing us to have to redesign our entire IP
allocation scheme.

I would like to know:

1) How are other people doing IP address management?
2) How many people use Private IP space for their end users?
2a) If you do use NAT/PAT what types of problems are you running into if any?
3) Any other insight into IP address management?
4) Anything Bradford specific is a bonus, I assume people have hacked
it up a bit?

--
Jason E. Murray
jemurray at zweck.net