[unisog] University ResNet IP address Management

Peter John Hill pjhill at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 24 16:06:17 GMT 2007

Out of all the places I have worked, Carnegie Mellon has the best
system.

http://www.net.cmu.edu/netreg/

Instead of using the same size network blocks for every dorm, they
know from historical data how big a subnet should be and track
closely if they get close to capacity. It is relatively simple for
them to expand a subnet or move on due to their tools (Netreg).

A new student comes into the dorm, connects their machine to an
ethernet port or wireless, since that machine is not registered
(known by MAC addr, not perfect, but good enough to get onto the
network), the user opens a web page and get redirected to a secure
web form, their mac address already filled in, complements of the
dhcp server, which is tightly coupled into the system. The user can
pick their hostname and choose from allowed subdomains. If they want
to add a CNAME, or change their TTL, they can. There is no a database
entry that ties that mac address to a username and a group (from
LDAP), so that if the machine is found to be infected or doing
something bad, we know who to contact.

When students later connect to the network they get a dhcp address
from the available pool, and the dhcp server updates the DNS server
dynamically with TSIGs...

Requires mysql (or some other sql database with modification), ISC-
DHCP, BIND, Apache, and Perl.

The system is not designed to do any user authentication once a
machine is registered... It is to tie a username to a mac address. If
we find that someone is spoofing a MAC address, we will track down
the duplicate mac address down to a switchport and investigate. That
would be treated as an abuse case.

On top of the data in the netreg database, they also put together
software called Epidemic, or netnotify. It is used to track abuse
incidents. It can automatically suspend a machine registration (host
still gets an ip address, but it is filtered on their local router).
It sends out warning emails, can interact with the switches and
routers to redirect infected machines to a web site to download
whatever patch is needed to fix whatever issue is found. The user can
then rescan their machine from a web page (if remote detection of fix
is possible) or else click a button saying, yes I cleaned my machine.

Any kind of forging a mac address to get around filters or not
cleaning your machine but saying to did results in an abuse case.

They also have their bandwidth quota system tied into both netreg and
epidemic.

http://www.net.cmu.edu/pres/jt0803/
http://bwmo.net/

Hope at least one thing in here was useful...

Peter