[unisog] SSH postponed public key....

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Oct 2 22:51:06 GMT 2007

Hi

This isn't a big deal but I hate things I can't account for...

Going through the logs for a couple of Linux boxes (RHE if it matters) I
find that there are lots of

sshd[xxx]: 'Postponed publickey for oracle from ::ffff:130.216.249.147 port 9348 ssh2'

These two boxes form a cluster and apparently use ssh to constantly check on each other.  I have logged on the the boxes and su'ed to the oracle account and done a manual ssh to the other machine and got the same message in /var/log/secure.

The two oracle account have a normal set up with authorized keys file, the only slightly odd thing is that someone has generated both dsa and rsa keys on both machines but only the rsa key is in the authorized keys file.

If these were any 'ordinary' systems I would simply start fiddling but they are part of our oracle cluster upon which everything else depends.

I've tried replicating the set up on another system but don't get the odd log messages.

I have also spent some time googling around this without coming up with a good explanation of what causes the postponed message

Any ideas?

Russell