[unisog] SSH postponed public key....

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 4 00:07:06 GMT 2007

Tom Throckmorton wrote:

>> debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
>> debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
>> debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
>> debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
>> debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password
>> debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
>> debug1: Offering public key:....
>>

> So, in this case it's trying gssapi-mic, then publickey, and would
> presumably fall through to password, assuming a key wasn't accepted -
> and this also triggered the 'Postponed publickey' syslog message.   If I
> had disabled either gssapi or publickey auth for this session, no
> 'Postponed' message appears.

Ah!! I had noticed that gssapi was enabled in the sshd_config on those
machines.   This is almost certainly the problem.  I have asked the
admins to schedule a change to the config files and we will see it that
removes the messages.  I'm not sure how long it will take to get a bau
(bussiness as usual) change through -- the process is supposed to me
much improved.

As you say everything works fine but on critical machines like these I
don't like log messages that I don't understand.

Thanks for shining some light on this issue.

Russell.