[unisog] Laptop Security

Dennis Tracz dntracz at ucalgary.ca
Thu Oct 4 23:04:07 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I am new to this list so please forgive me if this topic has already
been covered.
I am interested in knowing, what is the common practice for Laptop
encryption, specifically:

1.  What is your current practice:
   a.  Do you use encryption on laptops (for laptops you administer)
   b.  Do you encrypt the entire hard drive or selected folders i.e.( My
Documents)
   c.  Do you use a commercial product or EFS
   e.  If encryption is used is it automatically configured (for laptops
you administer) or do users have a choice

2.  What is your desired practice if you do not use encryption on laptops
a.  Is this something you are wanting, attempting or not wishing to do?
b.  Would you encrypt the entire hard drive or selected folders i.e.( My
Documents)
c.  Would you use a commercial product or EFS?
d.  Would you automatically encrypt (for laptops you administer) or
would you let your users have a choice?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

PS.. I have posted the above on the Educause security mailing list as
well, and I will tabulate and forward the results back to the group.

--
Dennis N. Tracz CISSP-ISSMP, CISM
Information Security Officer